2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Six pieces, all composed by Daryl Jamieson, all concerned with different approaches to and relationships with poetry.
• on Love to be Endured for biwa solo (a setting of two waka — traditional Japanese 5-line poems — by Shokushi Naishinnō)
• tú caerás conmigo for violin solo (one of three pieces the composer wrote in response to the Great East Japan Earthquake in March 2011, based on a Pablo Neruda love sonnet)
• Dawn Prayers (2013 version) for voice, biwa (with voice), shakuhachi, and koto (a setting of seven waka from the anonymous mediaeval Buddhist tale A Lengthy Tale for an Autumn Night)
• plaintive belling (new work) for koto solo (based on seven poems from Ogura Hyaku-nin Isshu — 100 poets, one poem each)
• dancing phlogiston for shakuhachi solo (based on a haiku the composer wrote in English)
• Yume Gatari (new work) for voice, shakuhachi, and violin (a setting of a poem written by Eiko Sadamatsu)
Performers: Christopher Yohmei (shakuhachi), Mika Kimula (voice), Shungo Mise (violin), Junko Ueda (Satsuma Biwa), Nobutaka Yoshizawa (koto)
Admission: ¥2500 advanced sales, ¥3000 at the door.